As a typical Brit, I must admit that I’m rather partial to a take-away or two. I mean who can resist a take-out? Especially when the local high-street is littered with an eclectic array of take away restaurants and with the amount of Chinese take away restaurants near me, I have become quite obsessed with one Chinese recipe in particular!
Salt n Pepper Chips fuse just about everything we love about English food with Chinese food. I’m sure that everyone can agree that chips are one of the oldest, easy dinner recipes – whichever way you choose to eat them, but the ‘Man Wants’ Salt and Pepper Chips recipe is a quick-fire way to liven up your dinner ideas without a trip to the nearest Chinese takeaway.
So whether you’re looking for a ‘cheap eat’ or trying to impress the girlfriend with your cooking skills – it’s worth giving this quick and easy dinner recipe a try. Trust me, it’s one of the best Chinese recipes we’ve tried & it’s quicker than a walk to the local takeaway!
We understand that sifting through Chinese cooking recipes is, quite frankly, a pain- so here’s our simple recipe for salt and pepper chips to spice up your evening.
The beauty of cooking your own Chinese food is that you can feel free to pick and choose which ingredients you want to leave out – and the portion sizes for cooking a fake takeaway are completely up to you! Just don’t be too reckless or you could ruin the flavour…
|• Frozen Chips
• Soy sauce
• Sesame oil
• 2 chopped onions
• 1/2 clove of finely chopped garlic
|• 2 chopped chillies
• Chilli and/or garlic sauce
• Chinese five spice
• Paprika powder
• 1 tbsp Salt
• 1 tbsp Sugar
1) First up – You are supposed to deep fry the chips in this recipe- but if you don’t feel confident with deep frying (or you’d prefer to keep it more like one of our healthy recipes), they’ll taste just as good cooked in the oven! Please note that thin chips like French fries will not work. Use thick-cut chips only – it will help to absorb the sauces later and produce for a more authentic example of Chinese salt and pepper chips.
2) Next – Heat up equal amounts of soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil in a pan (preferably a wok if you have one) These are essential Chinese ingredients and you can use them again in other Chinese food recipes, so definitely an investment for all foodies!
3) Then – Once the liquids are heated, add your chopped onions, garlic and chillies. Fry them up until the onions appear to be golden.
4) After that – Throw the cooked chips into the pan and proceed to add the chilli and garlic sauces. The amount you add is entirely up to you, just remember that some chilli sauce can be EXTREMELY hot and you don’t want to rot your guts! Keep frying the chips until the sauces have begun to soak into them and your kitchen starts to smell like a real Chinese takeaway.
5) Sprinkle some small amounts of Chinese five spice, salt, sugar and paprika over the chips. Just remember the paprika will fuel the spice of any chilli sauce you’ve already added, so don’t overdo it. Unless you’re into ridiculously spicy food – of course.
6) Keep on cooking until the Salt and Pepper Chips are well combined with the other Chinese ingredients and spices.
7) Finally – Once you’re happy with how they look, remove them from the heat and they’re ready to serve. Authentic Chinese salt and pepper chips for fans of simple tasty food!
It’s such an easy recipe and tastes great too, a real hit for fans of quick-easts and eastern cuisine!
Looking for dinner ideas for a bigger appetite?
For an easy chicken recipe – swap the home cooked chips for cooked chicken. Check that your chicken is cooked thoroughly before you add the other Chinese cooking ingredients – then hey presto! A quick Salt and Pepper Chicken dish fit for any Chinese food menu.
Feel free to change up the recipe to your own preferences. Use less chilli if you’re not in the mood for hot spice. If you’re feeling more daring though, throw in as much chilli as you want to.
Plus – Switch up boring vegan recipes or vegetarian dishes by substituting the chips with tofu or a vegetables for a quick vegan meal!